What is Fantastic Anatomy?
fan·tas·tic (fn-tstk) also fan·tas·ti·cal (-t-kl)
1. Quaint or strange in form, conception, or appearance.
2. Bizarre, as in form or appearance; strange:
3. Based on or existing only in fantasy; unreal:
4. Wonderful or superb; remarkable:
1. The structure of an organism or any of its parts.
2. The scientific study of the shape and structure of organisms and their parts.
Fantastic Anatomy is a term to describe a new method of studying anatomy (from the perspective of an artist). Instead of focusing on learning specific (AKA boring) proportions, we will learn anatomy without proportion. Without proportion?! But then our people will look distorted and inhuman, you say? Exactly! Forget drawing humans for now. We shall draw orcs, elves, extra-terrestrial beings, monsters, and the like!
But we shall draw them as they truly are….
This method combines a love for fantasy and science-fiction (stuff like D&D, Conan the Barbarian, Star Wars/Trek, etc.) and my desire to learn believable anatomy. I choose the world believable, as apposed to realistic. This has three purposes:
1) Aliens, Elves, Orcs, Trolls, etc. are not intended to be realistic creature, but they can be portrayed in a way that is believable.
2) It sets a goal that is not seemingly impossible! It’s within anybody’s artistic capability.
3) It’s the perfect balance between creative, impressive, and fun!
This method is an easy way to start drawing your own fantasy characters, while also learning the basics of human anatomy.
Ok, Let’s Get Started!
Watch these videos to get take a look at this full character drawing method in a nutshell. This is a really fun and easy way to learn this method.
How to draw a basic skull, as well as examples of all kinds of fantasy/sci-fi skulls to stimulate your imagination!
Tips and tricks on how to draw the features of the face, including the eyes, nose, lips/mouth, cheeks, ears, chin and head.
A simple method for drawing the main muscles of the neck.
A very intuitive method for drawing hair that gets the job done.